What can help you to choose between Diesel or Gasoline car?
First considered highly polluting and not really comfortable, the diesel engine was finally seduced and now dominates the fleet. But run on diesel is it always the most economical solution? Diesel or Gasoline : what is the real good car plan?
Budget , maintenance, insurance , environment ... not always easy to navigate as a consumer. A diesel vehicle costs more to purchase, but the savings on fuel over the years is not negligible. Conversely, a car that runs on gasoline is often more affordable and less polluting, but complicated to maintain and consumes more fuel over the long term .
We are going to look on the things which can help us to make our choise.
In the short term
- It is commonly agreed that the purchase price of a used car or new diesel is around € 1,500 more expensive than a gasoline car.
- At the pump, liter of diesel is still cheaper than a liter of gasoline.
- At the auto maintenance, the cost of diesel are significantly higher than those for petrol cars.
Even though diesel still cheaper at the pump station, cars running on gasoline are more interesting to the purchase and maintenance. The gasoline of the game wins the short term!
On the long term
- A diesel engine consumes about 15% less than gasoline. To save on fuel with a diesel engine, so just ride lot. An estimated 20 000 km per year on average ensure good value diesel.
- For autonomy: a diesel engine runs slower and wears slower than a gasoline engine.
- Diesel vehicles are generally rated better resale than gasoline vehicles, thanks to their robust engine.
Particularly suited to large rollers, diesel becomes more profitable than gasoline over time and a more advantageous resale. Diesel wins the match the long term!
For the environment
Numerous studies have addressed the thorny question of who diesel or gasoline is most harmful to the environment . And the answer is ... they pollute differently ! At present there are three major automobile pollutants emitted by families:
- Carbonic gas (CO2)
- Nitrogen oxides ( NOx)
- Fine particles
Although diesel vehicles emit 20% less CO2 than gasoline vehicles, they emit much of the fine particles hazardous to health. In figures, the diesel is responsible for 34% of nitrogen oxide emissions, a quarter of PM10 ( particles whose diameter is less than 10 microns) and 30% of PM2.5 ( particles less than 2.5 microns). Manufacturers are responding to the gradual demonization of diesel and offer vehicles with particulate filters. So these are mainly older vehicles that have the most impact on the air we breathe. But the petrol engines are also very far from clean : it is considered that they reject a large amount of carbon monoxide, carbon dioxide and unburned hydrocarbons .
Both fuels are considered particularly pollutants. The diesel rejects too many fine particles and CO2 gas. draw on the environmental aspect !
For car insurance
It is generally considered that the auto insurance companies charge tariffs between 10% and 15% higher for diesel powered vehicles . Several factors come into play to explain this discrepancy :
- For repairs : parts of diesel cost more than the parts of an essence. hotel costs are always taken into account in the calculation of insurance premiums.
- Diesel cars have a higher rating : it is easier to sell a diesel.
- Thieves prefer diesel, easier to sell. The risk of theft is most important, insurers majorise their rates accordingly.
Ensuring a diesel car is more expensive, particularly because of the prices for parts and repairs, but also the increased risk of theft. The essence wins the match auto insurance!.
In summary! Diesel or Gasoline!
You now have all the cards to make your choice ! So, diesel or gasoline, which fuel has convinced you ?
With the purchase and maintenance, petrol car is less expensive.
At the pump, diesel still cheaper than gasoline and diesel engines consume less fuel.
A diesel becomes profitable after 20 000 km per year.
Both engines are pollutants: fine particles for diesel, CO2 for gasoline.
The cost of a diesel car part is higher, but the engine will wear less quickly.
A diesel vehicle will be 10% to 15 % more to insure a vehicle fuel, in part because it will cost more for resale.